May / June 2016 Short Story Contest

Thanks for the welcome! I've been writing this for a few days now, gotten a little carried away and have no idea how far I am into the 5000 words, so time to type up the progress thus far so see how much space I've got left :P
 
I actually wrote a scene today. When I was done, I asked myself, "What the hell am I doing?"
Though frustrated, six hours later I'm kind of itching to get back to it.

(I thought the scene itself was good enough for a first draft, it was more of an existential question badly phrased. I should've asked myself, "What the hell am I doing this for?" So clearly I wasn't having enough fun with it. Or something.)
 
My story is nearing the finish line. At last count I was about 500 words below budget; I'll use that extra space to flesh out a few lackluster scenes. Then I just have to figure out how to trim down one long-winded conversation between my two main characters, edit the story a few times and I should be set.

I'll probably wait a few days after finishing it before I post it, revisit the story with a fresh perspective just to make sure there haven't been any serious oversights; I've had to fix so many logical inconsistencies in the plot that I'm sure there's some nonsense that I've overlooked.

I'm happy, either way. Looking forward to finishing up and starting a new story!
 
I am jealous of how prolific some of you can write. Between my final semester of grad school (for a second time, like a dummy), full time job, 3 kids 5 and under...I swear, it's like I have to choose, every night. Most evenings, I dabble in this, peck at that, and just collapse.
 
I am jealous of how prolific some of you can write. Between my final semester of grad school (for a second time, like a dummy), full time job, 3 kids 5 and under...I swear, it's like I have to choose, every night. Most evenings, I dabble in this, peck at that, and just collapse.

That's better than being an old foggie who sits in front of the keyboard all day and still gets nothing done.

eeyore-1.gif
 
Lol, I'm the furthest thing from prolific. This story is the first thing I've written in seven or eight months. I had to smash my laptop just to find my productivity again.
 
Lol, I'm the furthest thing from prolific. This story is the first thing I've written in seven or eight months. I had to smash my laptop just to find my productivity again.

Whatever it takes, right? ;)


"The writer's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one. He has a dream. It anguishes him so much he must get rid of it. He has no peace until then. Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency, security, happiness, all, to get the book written. If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the "Ode on a Grecian Urn" is worth any number of old ladies."
- William Faulkner
 
Last edited:
So I'm hiding in a Chinese restaurant trying to work on my last scene for the anthology submission. At the last minute, decided to go "pen and paper" and leave my computer at home. Waitress came to fill my drink, and spilled water all over my pages. My first thought: "Glad I didn't bring my Macbook!" directly followed by: "It's ok - I can still read this." Like a little blurry ink is gonna stop me... :D:D:D
 
I love writing in my journal first because I get to do an edit as I enter it into the computer. :D

That's basically what I did as I entered everything into my phone from my notebook. I'm going to try to do rough drafts on pen and paper from now on.

Not to give too much away, but this song has served as a nice little source of inspiration for my story:

 
My story's finished. Five thousand words, exact.

I'll wait a few days before posting it though, maybe distract myself with a new project in the meantime (I still need to figure something out for the flash contest and for the anthology.) Once I've seen it with a fresh perspective, I'll decide if it's ready to be shared.

Rock on, my weary writer friends.
 
My story's finished. Five thousand words, exact.
I'm looking forward to reading it.
I'm a hundred words or so away from finishing the draft of act two. At this rate, I'll be writing up to the wire.
 
And unfortunately I have not started... Unless I can use the in progress story I was thinking of.....but I'm having a heck of a time getting any writing done at all. :( :(
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top