Evil Agent
Saturn Comes Back Around
- Joined
- Aug 18, 2002
- Messages
- 6,139
Started re-reading A Feast For Crows.
Lions of Al-Rassan is probably my favourite fantasy book. But I do find that Kay's writing style is not for everyone, and some people have a hard time with how he write both male and female characters, but so far none of that has bothered me one bit. I hope you enjoy his work as much as I have so far.
I've been looking forward to reading Emerald Storm for quite some time now, and was very happy to see it in my mailbox the other day. I ordered it straight from Sullivan himself, and it is such a beautiful book. I love the cover art for all his books so far. I really hope he keeps up the excellent pacing all the way through the series.
I've been looking at reading Spellwright for awhile now, but did not think it would be my kind of book. Reading reviews so far makes me think that it actually just might be. Probably will be the next book I buy.
Interesting, I have not read about that series here, is it good? I liked her Assassin books, did not really care for her Live ship Trilogy, but thought her Second Son series was pretty good (not willing to read them again, but good enough), so do you think I would like that new series of hers?
Might I suggest King Rat by China Mieville? It is less...heavy than the other books I have read from him. It is more along the lines of an adventure story, and is not a massive book like the others. Perdido Street Station was not as many pages as some author's books, but the sheer amount of stuff in it made it large in my mind. For these reasons I think King Rat may be more what you are looking for at the moment.
Now reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell...enjoying it so far. I kind of like old-school British silliness. I wish there was a more sympathetic protagonist, though.
That's my next Erikson book, which I'll probably tackle later this year. Glad to hear there are still some good moments, as I've heard that it's the slowest one in the series so far.Still stuck with Toll the Hounds, for a month and counting (I'm at the middle of page count). I'm enjoying it immensely so far, haven't had so much fun with Malazan since, well, book 4 I think, but the usual complaints are still valid - moments of awesomness are mingled with boring dross.
Are Super Heroes Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I dont know but I'm posting here.
Are Super Heroes Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I dont know but I'm posting here. I am reading GRR Martin's Inside Strait - A Wildcards novel. I am really liking it. Great characters and a novel concept i.e. People with super powers, Aces, competing on a reality tv show. However that evolves during the story into some of the Aces being involved in an international crisis. Which is where I am.
Great writing by all the contributors. I am reading George's chapter right now - a treat for anyone clamoring for more of him. The Ace he is writing about has the ability to form some form of Ghost steel and has a sword - love it.
Cheers.
I really enjoyed it, so I hope you do too. I can understand your point on protagonist, but depending on where you are, your feelings may change. Some people never did make a deep connection with the main characters, but I know I certainly did.