Farm Ur-Ted
Registered User
- Joined
- Jun 4, 2007
- Messages
- 81
In no particular order:
SR Donaldson
GRR Martin
Katherine Kurtz
Connie Willis
I'm still trying to find a good #5. It may turn out to be Erickson, but I'm a little ambivalent after the first 2 books. I guess I'll go for book #3 in the next year or so. I read Bakker and the PoN series and liked it, but I doubt I'll be reading the next series. I just started Hobb, and maybe she'll slot in to the top 5. I've read a lot of other fantasy/sci fi novelists over the years, but I've forgotten more than I remember. I've been reading Donaldson and Kurtz since I was about 12 (uh, 25 or so years ago) and still enjoy their books, and always look forward to new installments. I really can't say the same about anyone else. I read the first 6 or so Shannara books, but can't read them anymore. I read the first 6 or so Eddings books, with the same result. I've probably read 30+ books by Piers Anthony (not sure why), and he definitely doesn't get a sniff of the top 5. I loved the first two xanth books (when I was 12), and the first Split Infinity series, and Macroscope is one of my favorite sci-fi novels. But he's shoveled out an awful lot of garbage that I've had the misfortune (and poor taste) of reading.
Edit: What the hey, I gotta put Steven Erikson in as my final favorite author.
SR Donaldson
GRR Martin
Katherine Kurtz
Connie Willis
I'm still trying to find a good #5. It may turn out to be Erickson, but I'm a little ambivalent after the first 2 books. I guess I'll go for book #3 in the next year or so. I read Bakker and the PoN series and liked it, but I doubt I'll be reading the next series. I just started Hobb, and maybe she'll slot in to the top 5. I've read a lot of other fantasy/sci fi novelists over the years, but I've forgotten more than I remember. I've been reading Donaldson and Kurtz since I was about 12 (uh, 25 or so years ago) and still enjoy their books, and always look forward to new installments. I really can't say the same about anyone else. I read the first 6 or so Shannara books, but can't read them anymore. I read the first 6 or so Eddings books, with the same result. I've probably read 30+ books by Piers Anthony (not sure why), and he definitely doesn't get a sniff of the top 5. I loved the first two xanth books (when I was 12), and the first Split Infinity series, and Macroscope is one of my favorite sci-fi novels. But he's shoveled out an awful lot of garbage that I've had the misfortune (and poor taste) of reading.
Edit: What the hey, I gotta put Steven Erikson in as my final favorite author.
Last edited:

