Stephen Palmer
Author of novels
- Joined
- Apr 30, 2007
- Messages
- 1,377
Epigenetics, Nessa Carey.
Reading "Death in Londinium" by John Drake currently. A murder mystery set during the time of ancient Rome's rule of Britain. Little bit of a slow start, but coming along nicely now. It looks to be a 2 book series. Will review after I finish.
Death in Londinium - Kindle edition by Drake, John. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Death in Londinium - Kindle edition by Drake, John. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Death in Londinium.www.amazon.com
Moriarty
![]()
With little else at hand, or more precisely little that I was in the mood to read, I plucked Moriarty from the shelf on which it had been sitting neglected for several years. As the title suggests, the book is set in the world of Sherlock Holmes, specifically after the events of Conan Doyle’s story The Final Problem in which Holmes was killed off after a confrontation with Professor Moriarty above the Reichenbach Falls in Switzerland. This story by Anthony Horowitz fills the vacuum (a temporary one as Conan Doyle succumbed to public demand and revived Holmes many years later) following the death of Holmes and is told by Frederick Chase, a Pinkerton agent from America.
It has been many years since I last read a Sherlock Holmes story but Moriarty, despite not featuring Holmes in person, brought the memories back. Chiefly through Inspector Athelney Jones, the Holmesian attributes of logical deduction and scientific reasoning are put on show, and Chase plays the role of Watson by expressing an appropriate level of amazement at Jones’s deductive skills. Along with the late Victorian London setting and range of period characters, I felt that Moriarty was a convincing homage to Conan Doyle’s work. There is also a major surprise not revealed until near the end of the book which I am happy to admit I did not spot. Most of the books I have read by Horowitz have been aimed at children or young adults (but should not be disregarded because of that) whereas this book is sometimes bloodier, more adult material.
In short, Moriarty is a good read.
Nice, Winter, I have read the Chandler (must revisit him to see how he does what he does!) But the other two have been on my shelf unread for decades... Both have towering reps. Let's see what you think of them.Have started Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory and have La Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep waiting to be read.
Just read it on AC's recommendation. As you can see from my previous posts I am currently on somewhat of a Sherlockian roll.Moriarty
![]()
With little else at hand, or more precisely little that I was in the mood to read, I plucked Moriarty from the shelf on which it had been sitting neglected for several years. As the title suggests, the book is set in the world of Sherlock Holmes, specifically after the events of Conan Doyle’s story The Final Problem in which Holmes was killed off after a confrontation with Professor Moriarty above the Reichenbach Falls in Switzerland. This story by Anthony Horowitz fills the vacuum (a temporary one as Conan Doyle succumbed to public demand and revived Holmes many years later) following the death of Holmes and is told by Frederick Chase, a Pinkerton agent from America.
It has been many years since I last read a Sherlock Holmes story but Moriarty, despite not featuring Holmes in person, brought the memories back. Chiefly through Inspector Athelney Jones, the Holmesian attributes of logical deduction and scientific reasoning are put on show, and Chase plays the role of Watson by expressing an appropriate level of amazement at Jones’s deductive skills. Along with the late Victorian London setting and range of period characters, I felt that Moriarty was a convincing homage to Conan Doyle’s work. There is also a major surprise not revealed until near the end of the book which I am happy to admit I did not spot. Most of the books I have read by Horowitz have been aimed at children or young adults (but should not be disregarded because of that) whereas this book is sometimes bloodier, more adult material.
In short, Moriarty is a good read.
Haven't read these but good to hear you like them. Cornwell is usually a good bet as his research is second to none.
Now I've amassed all of the Long War series by Cameron, I'm ready to get started on Killer of Men.