Ok, head count time...

Originally posted by kater
Grrrrrr lets not get started on this, I may explode :D
It just seems kinda ironic that in an age where independence is such a buzz word that some countries still don't have autonomy when they are probably more capable of running themselves than many third world countries who are claiming independence. Would America ever consider helping Wales become an independent nation rather than a principality? Didn't think so, I guess its one of those do-as-I-say not-as-I-do rules.

EXPLODES

why wouldnt the US help Wales stand on its own....they aint ever bothered anybody and they got a bunch a good folks livin there......why would anyone not let them stand on their own.......aint we over the im bigger then you thing?
 
Originally posted by kater
Grrrrrr lets not get started on this, I may explode :D
It just seems kinda ironic that in an age where independence is such a buzz word that some countries still don't have autonomy when they are probably more capable of running themselves than many third world countries who are claiming independence. Would America ever consider helping Wales become an independent nation rather than a principality? Didn't think so, I guess its one of those do-as-I-say not-as-I-do rules.

EXPLODES

I think the Americans have a sore spot about regions trying to secede from the union. I don't think they would be willing to help Wales from experience not from do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do.
 
Whoa, walk away for a few hours and come back to find that the English Civil War has broken out all over again... Except based on geographical and cultural lines rather than Roundheads and Royalists... :D

Well, dissension is not the aim here, really (lest we end up like the Just Curious thread!). Personally, I have no problem if everyone who's country is a component (however defined) of another one wants to break 'em out in the list. The whole idea is just to see where everybody is, and how global we are. But if you take yourself out of the UK count and make a new entry, say for Scotland, then do please make sure you reduce the UK count by one so that we keep the numbers straight. When it looks like we've had all the votes we're gonna get, we can add up all the numbers any way we like! Remember, if we go Commonwealth, it's pretty clear who the big winners are... :)

Let me toss the list back up so nobody has to go huntin' for it:

USA-16
UK-13
Australia-11
Canada-7
Finland - 2
New Zealand-1
Philipines-1
Norway-1
Belgium-1
Channel Islands - 1
Ireland - 1
TEXAS - 1
Germany-1
WALES - 1
 
A few things I'd like to mention here:

Originally posted by kater
Grrrrrr lets not get started on this, I may explode
It just seems kinda ironic that in an age where independence is such a buzz word that some countries still don't have autonomy when they are probably more capable of running themselves than many third world countries who are claiming independence. Would America ever consider helping Wales become an independent nation rather than a principality? Didn't think so, I guess its one of those do-as-I-say not-as-I-do rules.

EXPLODES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very delicate and complex area but, in the early 20th century the US was morally very supportive of the Irish struggle for independence and was indeed where much relevant diplomatic activity went on before and after independence in 1921.
There were several reasons for this, the most obvious one being the huge number of Irish emigrants living there. There was also the fact that just a century and a half or so before this America itself had boldly separated itself from the British Empire. To this day the US and The Republic of Ireland are the only two former colonies of Britain that were so radical in their spirit of independence that they do not belong to the Commonwealth.
That said, and before anyone makes any angry retorts, I know that this same American connection has in many ways served to poison even furthur the situation in Northern Ireland by funding terrorists they know very little about, and their political lackeys (Sinn Féin is the wealthiest political party in Ireland both north and south for this reason, though it is far from being the largest party in the island in any sense.)
On the other hand, the involvement of the Clinton Administration in the Irish Peace Process demonstrated for the first time an American Goverment which was veered neither by overly sentimental attachment to the idea of a post World War II "special relationship" between Britain and the US (so beloved of Mrs Thatcher) or by the traditional knee-jerk anglophobia of certain Irish-American sectors of the Democratic party.
This intervention was good and fruitful, I think. Of course the American government is not a charity and any involvement abroad is carried out with the intention of reaping electoral rewards at home. An involvement in Welsh (or Scottish) affairs probably wouldn't provide this. Moreover, speaking of Wales there seems to be little practical desire for political independence there compared to Scotland; and full blown nationalist aspirations in Scotland are, in the modern era, a fairly recent phenomenon - mainly ever since the means to some sort of economic self-sufficiency were discovered under the North Sea.
It is interesting though that the least politically nationalist of the so-called Celtic Nations, Wales, is the country that has most successfully preserved it's language. Something Irish language enthusiasts admire enormously.


There seems to be a resurgence of expression of tribal ethnic identities all over Europe. Perhaps people often just feel hollow and cling to some sort of simplistic group identity in order to feel better about themselves, in which to lose themselves. That's one angle - another angle could be that national identities have never really gone away even though ambitious state projects such as the Soviet Union, the Spanish State, China or the United Kingdom may have liked to pretend that the dominance of one ethnic or national group would somehow cause these differences to vanish with time. They haven't.
Although the terms "English" and "British" are often used interchangably there has also been an increase in noisey expressions of English nationalism in recent years - witness how the St George's cross can be seen more and more often in place of the Union Jack. When I see this I prefer to think of George Orwell's decent and sensible English patriotism rather than the "Enguuurrrland! Everyone hates us and we don't care!" patriotism of the football hooligan and remind myself that no country's patriotism is intrinsically good or bad - but that pariotism in some form or other is probably inevitable.

This is a fascinating and stimulating area for debate but one that unfortunately heats tempers way too much. I hope my too long contribution has been more interesting than irritating!
 
Last edited:
USA-16
UK-12
Australia-11
Canada-7
Finland - 2
New Zealand-1
Philipines-1
Norway-1
Belgium-1
Channel Islands - 1
Ireland - 1
TEXAS - 1
Germany-1
WALES - 1
Yorkshire - 1
 
Although the terms "English" and "British" are often used interchangably...
WHICH they shouldn't be! I don't think BRITISH ppl interchange them!

...there has also been an increase in noisey expressions of English nationalism in recent years - witness how the St George's cross can be seen more and more often in place of the Union Jack.
I like this :). Don't get me wrong, am happy to be part of Great Britain, but i like to be recognised as more specifically English. Is an indentity thing i guess. in a sense, i think of my 'ethnicity' as English. (Technically, completely wrong, but it makes sense to me - i guess what i mean is that i'm at least 50% anglo-saxon (25% celt - this explains the temper maybe :D) *shrug*)

But for HEAVENS' SAKES, FB - Yorkshire is NOT a country! *grrr*
 
well if the channel islands and texas can get away with it- why can't we?
 
Texas CAN'T, imo! They'll be re-integrated yet!!

And Rad found a definition that says the Channel Islands are at least partially independant.....now remind me - where does the Government of Yorkshire stand on the new education policies? ;)

:D
 
FOCL!!

(ooops - no - wait! LBSOC!!!)

Anyway - is v funny, but doesn't COUNT!!

Jeeez, the nerve of some ppl!! :)
 
Laugh But Stay On Chair.

Is new thingy. Ne'er mind!

Stay on topic *looks fierce!*
 
hands up those who thinks she's more pretty when she's angry

(Srry- cheeky phase will pass soon)
 
Yeah, lets really wind her up :D .

So, how's life everyone?

(Sorry Radthorne)
 
Originally posted by Sammie
FOCL!!

(ooops - no - wait! LBSOC!!!)

Anyway - is v funny, but doesn't COUNT!!

Jeeez, the nerve of some ppl!! :)

She's learning!
 
I am 100% English and sign on it every form that asks for my nationality!! I don't mind being called a Brit, as I live in the British isles - but I am English.

Solaar
Ing-er-lund
 
Solaar - that's ezactly how i feel :)

Originally posted by Shehzad
She's learning!
I do my best. But even you aren't allowed to drag threads off topic!!

*pleads*

C'mon guys.....you're gonna get me in trouble with the boss!!! :D
 
Just flutter your eyelashes and smile sweetly.

You know it will work.

Solaar
blushes to win votes
 
Sammie said:

"But for HEAVENS' SAKES, FB - Yorkshire is NOT a country! *grrr* "

Maybe it is a good thing there aren't more Irish people crowding this thread. There'd have to be separate categories for County (The Kingdom of) Kerry, Cork City, certain of the more independent districts of Dublin not to mention the different Gaelic speaking regions ( within which tiny Tory Island in the extreme north west would definitely claim Empìre status unto itself.....) - in one of these regions, South West Donegal, myself and a couple of people from Dublin (all of us as thick-tongued and Irish as the next fella and fairly fluent Irish speakers too , that's why we were there...) were called " English f******s " by a local lad. So, there's no pleasing some people.
On the same holiday a guy from Belfast told me to burn a BBC tee-shirt I was wearing.
It just goes on and on. The Irish are great for telling other Irish people they're not Irish enough.
The nickname in Ireland for Dubliners is Jackeens, which is derived from the Union Jack and is supposed to mean they're more British than Irish.
I'm from the midlands, when I went up to boarding school in Dublin those of us who were from the country were called "muck savages" from "beyond the Pale" - the "Pale" was for a couple of centuries a border some distance outside Dublin which separated Anglified Ireland from the "wild" Irish beyond. It was a sort of elaborate ditch structure.
 
Last edited:
"Wales, is the country that has most successfully preserved it's language. Something Irish language enthusiasts admire enormously"

Except the Welsh language is dying because no-one uses it outside of Wales and sadly most of Wales has been anglocised.

"Yorkshire - 1"

LMAO at fb

"anglo-saxon "

You realise of course anglo saxons came from scandinavia and aren't actually british, only celts are true brits :D (I guess that makes you one quarter good at least ;) )

Oh yeah can anyone explain to me why the English national anthem is also the British? and please don't get me started on the monarchy :mad:
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top