Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
no order... oh this is soooo hard:

tolkien
melanie rawn
george r r martin
neil gaiman
robin hobb


BUT THERE ARE SO MANY MORE (plus so many i haven't read yet...:( )
 
1 . E.R.Eddison . The Worm Ouroboros is a real treasure !
2 . G.G.Kay . Writes a truely beautiful story .
3 . R.Hobb . I'm hooked !!
4 . J.R.R.Tolkien . The Hobbit is IMO the best story ever told !!!!
5 . Lord Dunsany . A very talented story teller from another time .
 
In no order

Steven Erickson - Whiskeyjack and Quick Ben rule.
Michael Moorcock - Elric is the coolest character in fantasy
Gene Wolfe - Picked up Latro in Mist the other day and love what i read of it so far, I think I have most is published work.
Jon Carrol and Pat O'Leary - They sorta remind me of each other in writing style and cool contemporary storylines.
Paul Kearney - The Iron Wars was the most fun book ive read in awhile.

If asked to write this out every hour the list would probably change depending on how I thought about it. Ill buy any new book i see from Kay, Marco, Hobb, Mieville, Asher (buy his books damn it), etc.
 
1. Terry Brooks: A long time favorite. Sometimes simple but he's written so many good books.

2. Philip K. Dick: Eerie stuff. His short stories are phenominal.

3. Robert Stanek: Please tell me that someone else has read Kingdom Alliance. He's definitely coming out of obscurity and in a big way.

4. JRR Tolkien. I couldn't resist.

5. RA Salvatore: Another favorite. Hack and slash for most part but good.
 
1 David Eddings
The best in my opinion, he gives the reader interesting adventures, cool characters, great magic and very nice sense of humour.
2 Raymond E. Feist
Very good author, very good. His world is so alive...
3 J.K.Rowling
Hey, "Harry Potter" rules!
4 Terry Brooks
Classic. "Shannara" is great!
5 Robert Jordan
...but with his first books.
 
1 C. J. Cherryh. There is no better writer or storyteller of
Fantasy, or SF. IMO, of course. ;)
2. Tolkien. For obvious reasons. :)
3. John Crowley. 'Little, Big' is a masterpiece.
4. Ursula LeGuin. For the Earthsea books, and for 'The Beginning Place.'
5. Gaiman. For 'Neverwhere.'
 
The most well liked authors currently are rated....

1- Hobb (20 points)
2- Donaldson (18 points)
3- Tolkien (17 points)
4- Erickson (15 points)
5- Feist (13 points)
 
My Fantasy Top 5-

1. George R. R. Martin.

2. Terry Pratchett

3. Robin Hobb

4. Tad Williams

5. David Gemmell

Bubbling under: Tolkien, Feist, Moorcock, Mieville.
 
I can't put these in any order, it'd be unjust sooo

1. Terry Pratchett. As wonderful as ethical and long complex stories are you can't beat a good ol laugh.

2. Robin Hobb, one of the big not so complex ones

3. George Martin, one of the big, complex ones

4. Stephen Donaldson, one of the ethical ones.

5. J K Rowling, you need some variation:). and hey i'm a kid, i'm allowed.

Totally off the subject I saw Daredevil today and it was actually pretty good.
 
My top five authors are:
1. Samuel R. Delany
2. Frank Herbert
3. Robert Silverberg
4. Philip K. Dick
5. Ursula Le Guin

I don't read much fantasy, but here are the best writers (in my opinion) who work in the subgenre or have ventured into it...
1. Ursula Le Guin
2. Gene Wolfe
3. Angela Carter (lovely)
4. Michael Moorcock
5. Tanith Lee
 
George RR Martin - What all writers should strive to achieve

Steven Erikson - His world building is unparalleled

Robin Hobb - Great plot and characters

Tad Williams

Lloyd Alexander - Perhaps a sentimental choice but he was the one that got me into fantasy. His books are still a great read as an adult.
 
IN ORDER! (1 = best)

1. JRR Tolkien
2. Robin Hobb
3. George R. R. Martin
4. Robert Jordan
5. Stephen Donaldson
 
Being a relative newcomer to the genre my votes would be

1. Robin Hobb

2. Steven King

3. GRRM

4. Tad Williams

5. Neil Gaiman

(special mentions to RJJ,Kate Elliot, Erikson and Marco)
 
1. David Gemmell

2. GRRM (and this is based on only reading aGoT!!!)

3. Stephen King

4. James Barclay (and this is based on only reading Dawnthief)

5. Robert E Howard (Conan, come on)

Gemmell is listed first because I own every book he has written. He is the master of writing about charaters who walk the grey line, not your average heroes. My other choices are fairly weak as I tend to read horror and mainstream more than fantasy, although Gemmell is by far my fave author.

GRR Martin has grabbed me hence his high ranking, as has Barclay. I fully intend to read everything these gentlemen have produced.

King is a multi-genre master, he is a story weaver and a master of the craft.

REH writes absolute cliche-filled brainless twaddle... And I love it.

Just bumped out of my list is Salvatore and I wasn't sure if I could include people like Anne Rice, Michael Crichton, Matthew Reilly so left them out.
 
Hi. First post. Good stuff.

If we're talking about fantasy here, I'll say:

J.K. Rowling
Phillip Pullman
George Martin
Niel Gaiman
Jonathan Carroll

. . . but my list changes constantly. Too many authors, too little time.
 
:cool:

In no particular order:

Guy Gavriel Kay - I agree with whoever it was: More gorgeous, gripping, BLOWING AWAY prose, please.

Philip Pullman - great style, profound ideas.

D. Wynne Jones - humor, original ideas, the Dalemark Quartet was wonderful.

J.K. Rowling. Humor, great characters, and her imagination is just WILDLY marvelous.

Tolkien - the characters - nothing like it. And some parts of the book just transcend into something more than prose.


Another fav - the author of the Secret Garden - I know it's a kid's book, and it's old, but I love that story so much - the inspiring simplicity of it.

:rolleyes: Brid
 
Last edited:
Gday everyone, my top 5 authors would have to be
1) David Gemmel- I just can't seem to put his books down! My favourite one (at the moment) would have to be Sword in the Storm.A great mix of fantasy and Celtic mythology
2) Terry Goodkind- A great series with good characters.The fifth book tended to drag on a bit though.
3) Stephen Donaldson- I loved the fact that the main character is an anti-hero. I always enjoy something a bit diferent than the normal.
4) Raymond E Feist- Again a great series with lots of diferent storylines eg. Pug's life in the two different world's.
5) Enid Blyton-Now you are probably saying Who? or Why? Enid Blyton was an English author who was probably most famous for her "Famous Five" series of childrens books.She also wrote many books about magic,elves, pixes etc. This is where I developed my interest in the fantasy genre. If you have children then this would be a great place to start their interest in fantasy!
 
1. Roger Zelazny

Fred Saberhagen
Raymond Feist

PC Hodgell
GRR Martin
 
1. Hobb
2. Tad Williams
3. Tolkein
4. Martin
5. Eddings

What can I say? I've only hit the bigger names and only recently started to find some of the older obscure but equally talented authors.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top