Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
1) George R. R. Martin
2) Steven Erikson
3) Guy Gavriel Kay
4) Raymond Feist
5) Tad Williams
 
Kryptonite, I believe he's from the land of semi sanity (being if he were completely sane he wouldn't even make the list). You on the other hand are obviously from the land of lunacy! Bwahaha!:p
 
After my ingenius scoring system mathematically determined the current favorites of fantasy, the following list was assembled...

1- (Tied) Robin Hobb and Martin (45points each)
2-Tolkien (32 points)
3- Donaldson (24 points)
4- Feist (18 points)
5- (Tied) Gene Wolf and Erikson (15 points each)
 
I have yet to read many of the authors metioned but atm here is my list

1. Tolkien
2. Carol Berg (please write more novels quick)
3. David gemmell
4. Melanie Rawn
5. R A Salvatore
 
Last edited:
Hmm...difficult but my ever changing list looks like this as of right now:

1. Raymond Feist - for Riftwar and Empire series
2. David Eddings - for Belgariad
3. Dave Duncan - for The Seventh Sword and King's Blades series
4. Jonathan Carroll - always entertaining
5. Tom Arden - for The Orokon, however 5 others could take this place at any time.

I haven't read Tolkien in english yet, just a badly translated version in Swedish (great controversy in its time since Tolkien hated the translation) so it might make it into and to the top of the list...;)
 
My current top five (although s'pose I'm too late for the totalling up) are:

1) George RR Martin - I've loved the Song of Ice and Fire books, and also Fevre Dream
2)Ursula Le Guin - I've yet to read her SF but Earthsea is an outstanding series of books.
3) Robin Hobb - excellent characterization and great story teller
4) Lynn Flewelling - based only on The Bone Doll's Twin - beautiful and creepy story
5) Guy Gavriel Kay - quality of his prose is extremely high - astounding writing.


I suspect Erikson would be in there if I'd got around to reading his stuff yet. I would've put Mary Gentle instead of Lynn Flewelling except that I think 'Ash' is SF in the end, rather than fantasy.
 
1. Gemmell - Rigante Series, nuff said.

2. Tolkien - Epic, purer epic.

3. Fiest - Introduced me to fantasy, memories of his books will never part.

4. JV Jones - A refreshing original writer.

5. Um..... Sara Douglass ;) Crucibal series aint bad, yet to read the last one which im told sucks. :(
 
In the following order-
1. JRR Tolkien-the master!
2. Terry Pratchett-too funny!
3. Gabriel Garcia Marquez- magic realism at its finest.
4. JK Rowling- HP's quite good.
5. Enid Blyton- introduced me to fantasy!
 
My list (don't know about any order though)
1. Raymond E Feist
2. David Eddings
3. Robin Hobb
4. Tolkein
5. J K Rowling
 
Okay, I'm not going to put Tolkien on my list, because he's a god and my list is not worthy of him. So let's say my list is of contemporary authors.

1. GRR Martin
2. Janny Wurts
3. Robert Jordan
4. Robin Hobb
5. Terry Goodkind or LE Modesitt (can't decide)
 
1. JRR Tolkien

The phenomenon. Of all the books I've read, regardless of genre, the Silmarillion remains my absolute favorite. I also love the history of middle-earth books which deal with the Sil. The LoTR is also in my top 5 but has by now been slightly surpassed by a few other works. Incredible trilogy, but nothing beats the grand spectacle of the First Age, with the Elves in their magnificent splendour and the world relatively unspoiled, facing the great power of He Who Arises in Might (anyone who can think of such a telling name deserves praise).

2. GRR Martin

One hell of a writer, epic Fantasy at it's best, he does have one or two things I'm not that crazy about but he does a great job with characterization and worldbuilding. He manages to handle multiple storylines better than anyone I've seen, and his previous books hint at great and very exotic things to come.

3. R. Hobb

Only just below Martin. Her characterization also is supreme, with Fitz coming in as my all-time favorite fiction character. She doesn't beat Martin because his is a more ambitious tale, while hers is more intimate. I love both, but I think Liveship is nothing special, therefore if I have to choose, she goes to three. But again, wonderful characters combined with a world so enchanting that I'd actually want to live there. Also one of the most tragic romances that I've ever encountered.

4. Marcus Herniman

Unknown author published in the UK but not in the US. Writer of a stunning Fantasy trilogy in a pseudo-medieval world (my favorite sort) with lots of interesting magical human creatures, the best portrayel of the Fay that I've ever seen outside of the master himself, Gods with powers that have actual influence in the real world, a terrifying and beatiful enemy, a world populated with wonderful cities based on our world's renaissance period, truly vast forests inhabited by enigmatic beings, an elaborate magic system and a foulplaying emperor.

Much of it may sound repetitive but I enjoyed it much more than so many of the so-called original Fantasy books. I think anyone who enjoyed Tolkien would like him. Note: he has a character appendix which is larger than even Eriksons ;)

5. A tie between two vastly different authors, Steven Erikson and Guy Gavriel Kay. Both superstars in their own right and hardly inferior to any of the authors mentioned above.
 
Last edited:
Might as well post my favs:


1. David Eddings

2. Margaret Weis & Tracey Hickman

3. George R R Martin

4. Terry Goodkind

5. J V Jones
 
Last edited:
I'll join ya then

Steven Erikson.
Matthew Stover
Lynn Flewelling
Robin Hobb
and uuh.. Dave Dunkan I guess
 
In no particular order:

Steven Erikson
George R.R. Martin
J.R.R. Rolkien
Mary Gentle
Gary Jennings
 
1. Eddings ( Will forever be my favorite.)
2. Feist (Pug is the coolest.)
3. Brust ( Vlad is the coolest man alive.)
4. Drake (Love the story.)
5. Brooks (He started me down this fantasy road, and I have never looked back.)

Just a list from a new guy.
Keep it sureal. ;)
 
Welcome Watcher,

pretty good list there. especially #1.:)

I haven't read #2-#5. although I'll get there.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top