Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
Thanks Kanin.

If you need any book recommendations I'll be sure to help you out.:cool:
 
I've got plenty in my To Be Read pile. Right now I'm starting J V Jone's The Baker's Boy.

Never read her before.
 
My list changes every day, but today it would be:

1. Gene Wolfe
2. M. John Harrison
3. Edward Whittemore
4. Jeff VanderMeer
5. Mervyn Peake
 
Raymond E Fiest {Magician reintroduced me to fantasy}
Tolkien
Terry Brooks
Robin Hobb {only started reading since joining sfworld}
Stephen King
If it wasnt just fantasy Dennis Wheatley would have been top followed by James Herbert
 
For FS&F, at this very moment, I'll have to say:

Matthew Stover
Gene Wolfe
Greg Keyes
Tad Williams
Stephen R. Donaldson
 
I don't remember if I have posted on this thread, but here goes my Top 5(for right now):

George R R Martin

C J Cherryh

C S Friedman

Tad Willaims

Stephen R Donanldson

Oh and of course, Roger Zelazny!

Okay that was six. :p
 
In no certain order:

Eric Neilson - Author of the Golden Axe series which follows the adventures of Viking Haakon Oleson as he seeks out treasure, women, and family pride. He is aided in his adventures by the hand (or axe) of Thor himself, who sees in him the final arbiter of the Viking way. * This author has apparently vanished off the face of the earth, because the series was written in the early 80s, and he hasn't written anything since. *

Robert Howard, Fritz Leiber, Karl Edward Wagner - The Godfathers of Sword N' Sorcery so to speak with their characters of Conan (Solomon Kane and Kull to a lesser extent), Fahrd and the Grey Mouser, and Kane the Immortal.

Janny Wurts - from book to book, I've followed her characters and stories, and with each passing book she shows her readers that she writes to no certain style nor cause.

Mickey Zucher Reichert - While I haven't followed her latest works, her Renshai series has been a personal favorite (and is in constant rotation) for quite a while.

Dennis McKiernan - Mithgar, enough said. The author is honest enough to admit that Tolkien heavily influenced his earlier works, but he quickly gained a style all his own. I'm eagerly following him into his 6 volume series in the world of Faery. His books are generally comfort reading, as I can always pick up his novels for an entertaining yarn. I like the fact that he attempts to write each novel with a theme in mind, be it The essence of evil (Evil is bad!) or human's destructive nature.

That's more than five, but oh well.

EDIT: A few authors that I'll buy regardless of subject are David Eddings, Terry Brooks, Raymond Feist, Terry Goodkind (I'm not sure if I'll follow him into his philosophy kick after Chainfire).
 
Last edited:
LordGrimm said:
Robert Howard, Fritz Leiber, Karl Edward Wagner - The Godfathers of Sword N' Sorcery so to speak with their characters of Conan (Solomon Kane and Kull to a lesser extent), Fahrd and the Grey Mouser, and Kane the Immortal.

.

Where's the love for Michael Moorcock and his albino buddy, Elric?? :D
 
Priestvyrce said:
Where's the love for Michael Moorcock and his albino buddy, Elric?? :D

Dammit! :) I've forgotten several of the so called "barbarians" of fantasy, but then again I've never considered Moorcock's Elric to be true sword n' sorcery, more a dark fantasy of sorts. Then again, Kain is often lumped into horror!
 
LordGrimm said:
Dammit! :) I've forgotten several of the so called "barbarians" of fantasy, but then again I've never considered Moorcock's Elric to be true sword n' sorcery, more a dark fantasy of sorts. Then again, Kain is often lumped into horror!

Yep! Those "definitions" sure can be a bugger all! ;) :D
 
Monosylabik said:
My list changes every day, but today it would be:

1. Gene Wolfe
2. M. John Harrison
3. Edward Whittemore
4. Jeff VanderMeer
5. Mervyn Peake

I'll have to check out Edward Whittemore, all your other favs would be high up on my list too.
 
Today:

In no set order,

1. Professor Tolkien
2. Mr. Guy Kay
3. George R. R. Martin
4. Tim Powers
5. E R. Eddison

If I were asked to put up a sixth right now I'd say Fritz Leiber; just finished a pretty cool Fafhrd and Grey Mouser morsel. ;)

Then again the list might be different tommorow with the exception of Professor Tolkien.
 
Iskaral Pust said:
I'll have to check out Edward Whittemore, all your other favs would be high up on my list too.

Iskaral - I've posted on Whittemore extensivley a few times here, so I'll spare everybody by just pointing you to a good website with lots of Whittemore info: Jerusalem Dreaming. Enjoy! :)
 
Hmm... the whole ranking thing is difficult... Ok, here it goes:

1. Robin Hobb
2. Jacqueline Carey
3. Roger Zelazny
4. Louis McMaster Bujold
5. Matthew Woodring Stover
 
Top 5 eh? Tough for me since I base most authors based on there works. But, the following three are without 'Must Buy HC no matter what authors".

Tad Williams
Neil Gaiman
Robin Hobb

Now, this list is of authors current works that I cannot wait for..

George R. R. Martin
Gregory Keyes.

So, that's five. ;)

Also, some authors that are contending to be favs are Dave Duncan, and John Marco.

Keyoke
 
Today's list:

Alan Moore
Michael Moorcock
Neil Gaiman
Matthew Stover
Michael Chabon
 
I don't read so much fantasy, but I think I can come up with 5 favorites...

1.Jasper Fforde
2.Garth Nix
3.Terry Pratchett
4.Neil Gaiman
5.Wolfgang Hohlbein (German author, probably not translated)
 
Orson Scott Card
L. E. Modesitt Jr.
George R. R. Martin
Robin Hobb

#5 is a toss up between David Farland and Robert Jordan.
Though I don't like some of their books, the stories they've come up with have snagged me.
 
Today I'd probably want to squeeze Jeffrey Ford and China Mieville in (dropping Whittemore and Peake - they're both dead, they won't mind):

1. Gene Wolfe
2. M. John Harrison
3. Jeff VanderMeer
4. China Mieville
5. Jeffrey Ford
 
I didn't think we were allowed to change our minds so I didn't bother looking at this as I thought it would be too hard to choose. Anyway, I think

Guy Gavriel Kay
Charles De Lint
Lois McMaster Bujold
Robin Hobb


I have based this on the fact that I own every book I can get my hands on with each of these writers. I can't choose a fifth. It is just too hard.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top