Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
H

Hemingway

Guest
Now is your opportunity to list your five favorite authors, you may also list a few notes as to why. After about a week I’ll tally up the votes and mathematically conclude whom The Top Five Fantasy Authors are!!!

1.Stephen King- This is rather obvious. A literary genius, whose Darktower series has soared through the pinnacle echelons of previous visionaries, as well as other outstanding novels from The Stand to the Shining that have paved a long road of monumental achievements, but I believe most notable to me are the fantasy/sci-fi endeavors. He undoubtedly will be renown as a legendary author for years to come.

2- Philip Jose Farmer- An amazing author whose imagination is astounding, and doesn’t quite receive the recognition he deserves. The River world and Level World were a fantastic series that really makes one think in theoretical and philosophical terms. Glad to see they’re making a movie of River World, though I’d rather see Level World.

3- Raymond Feist- Feist was my introduction to fantasy, and his earlier works were a true testament of character-driven novels. The appeal constructed within each character is amazing, the stories while not remarkably original are nevertheless absorbing with innumerable twists (Like the empire series) and the erected worlds feel enormous. I believe sorcerers have never been portrayed to a better degree in any other fantasy novel, and his knowledge and multifaceted vision of colossal wars are unsurpassable achievements of grand scale mayhem at its best.

4- Stephen Donaldson- Thomas Covenant was simply one of the most unique and powerful tales ever created in the realm of fantasy, delving deeply into a heavily flawed and perhaps even evil perspective. Also after having just read two novels of The Gap it completely further institutes his greatness. If you loved Thomas Covenant you will certainly enjoy The Gap.

5- John Marco- The hottest new writer out there today, despite the assaults of negativity from many who would disagree, The Tyrant and King’s series greatly delved in originality, and complex characters, stunning warfare, and an original vision in some facets adding future warfare into the mix. The Eye’s of God, his recent release introduced amazing characters that evolve so drastically they are unrecognizable by the tragic conclusion. I hungrily anticipate the sequel to even further solidify himself within the fantasy world.
 
This is fantasy and non fantasy right? Anyway if I guess i'll reply even though this thread may be doomed to closure.

Robert Jordan - DUH!
Steven Erikson
Kate Elliott
Lois de Benaires or how ever ya spell his last name
Carey

GRRM has fallen off the list due to me not being able to remember if his writing is any good. Taking three years to write a book is way to long. It means I have to either reread the previous books or be lost for the first part of the new book. I still have J V Jones new book on my shelf unread due to this. I tried reading it and it even had a summary but I just didn't have a feel for the characters any more. It's sad.
 
We'll keep it to fantasy, I know Farmer's books some might distinguish as completely sci-fi, but I believe it's more of blend of sci-fi and fantasy, and I placed King in the mix because he has written a lot of Fantasy and that's what truely stands out to me as the pinnacle achievemtns in his illustrious career.

Well hope it evades the doom you have prophesized Caldazar, would be a shame because even if there has been a list of top five favorite authors, I don't believe summaries of why you like them have been encouraged, nor has there been a calculation of votes to determine the top five authors. I'll list all nominations in a week and how many votes they recieved:)
 
Just fantasy:

1. Steven Brust. He has a very light writing style which appeals to me. Also, I love his Vald Taltos world.

2. Neil Gaiman. To be honest I like the Sandman world best. I love the new angles on old stories and mythologies.

3. Robin Hobb. Her characters are some of the best I've seen.

4. Ursula Le Guin. A classic writer. I can read her books several times over the years. They never get out of date.

5. Philip Pullman. A philosophical writer. Also the new angles to the real world issues are great.
 
Just Fantasy, okay

1, Steven Erikson; Although I've only read Gardens of the Moon I'm going to give him my first vote because this book drew me in, in a way no other book (bar Ben Elton's High Society which isn't fantasy) has been able to in a long time. I loved the characters and the world he has created for them to interact in and the way he revealed a little of each as the story unfolds.

2, Robin Hobb; until very recently Hobb would have held the number one slot for me, I absolutely love reading about Fitz even though he is a complete tool.

3, Bernard Cornwell; although most of his books are historical novels I would consider his Warlord Chronicles fantasy, King Arthur an' all. Again these books drew me in, the grown up writing style that is absent in so many fantasy novel's (Edding's, Douglass, Brooks to name a few - even though Brooks gets a vote later-) coupled with his story telling abilities make these a favourite of mine.

4, J.V.Jones; all to often I find fantasy a struggle as the authors present us with cliche after cliche, poorly developed charaters and simplistic plots, J.V.Jones avoids these pitfalls with ease (imo) and the result is a very enjoyable read.

5, Terry Brooks; despite the poor quality of the Shannara novels, and yes I mean all of them, the only one that wasn't a struggle for me to finished was the First King of Shannara. I really enjoyed the Word and the Void series and for this reason he just pips Jordan to the number 5 spot, Jordan misses out for dragging WOT on way longer than he ever should.
 
1. Stephen R Donaldson: all the reasons mentioned above, but also an ability to create other than 'dark' characters, as in the Mordant's need books where he focusses on less dark but equally compelling and complex characters.
2. George RR Martin: rich story, sweeping scope and an ability to grab my attention and hold it.
3. Raymond Feist: tremendous story teller with an ability to immerse me almost immediately in his works. Like the early stuff best, as well as the Empire works with Janny Wurtz.
4. Robert Jordan: don't care if it takes another ten years to finish, I am still enjoying the characters and the story line.
5. Robin Hobb: getting better and better with each story. Have not read a book I have not enjoyed from Robin.
 
Here's my list...

1. Robin Hobb - superb
2. Terry Pratchett - master of comic fantasy
3. Terry Brooks - just great
4. Neil Gaiman
5. J.R.R. Tolkien - classic
:D
 
Stephen King
Robert Jordan
Terry Goodkind
Melanie Rawn
Terry Brooks
 
1. Stephen R. Donaldson
2. Patricia Mckillip
3. Lord Dunsanay
4. William Morris
5. Ursula LeGuin

Not your typical list but they all share another trait aside from just telling a good story. And that is they all have a masterful grasp and love of language which propels their narration and prose to supierior levels of elegance, description, and competency, thus making their stories not just great, but Classics!
 
1. David Eddings
2. J.R.R. Tolkien
3. Robin Hobb
4. Raymond E. Feist
5. Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
 
1. George RR Martin: A man who quickly escalated himself to the top of the fantasy list. Everything I was waiting for epic, sword-and-sorcery fantasy to evolve into.

2. Philip K Dick: Prolific, eerily accurate in future world predictions, eccentric everything that I love in a great pulp writer. Paranoia bleeding through the pages of his books. His short stories are great too, at least Hollywood and I agree on this (although I wish they'd stop flubbing up his stories).

3. Tolkien: Imitation is the highest form of flattery... 'nuf said.

4. Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Please tell me that you've read One Hundred Years of Solitude. Magical Realism done right. (very honorable mention to Italo Calvino in this category as well... and don't forget Rushdie).

5. Stephen R. Donaldson: Covenant, Gap, Mordant- they're all benchmarks for fantasy. I really hope that he doesn't fade into obscurity and that he is getting cracking on something new.

And I can't resist:

6. Guy Gavriel Kay: Please write something new. And not some poetry. Some more of that beautiful prose and imagery. Please

7. Stephen Erikson: If he can keep up this breakneck pace and still pump out the quality this man will be a force to be reckoned with in fantasy. If only us stupid Americans could publish him.

8. Peter S. Beagle: Another who is slowly fading into obscurity. I remember you... The Last Unicorn breaks my heart everytime I read it- beautiful.

DrB
 
Jesus is this hard. In not particular order, and subject to change at any time...

Tad Williams
Matthew Woodring Stover
Michael Moorcock
Robin Hobb
Robert E. Howard

It will probably change in a couple of days...:D
 
As always, everyone seems to favor only authors currently in fashion.

(Exceptions, such as DrBloodmoney1, duly noted.)

My favorites:

J.R.R. Tolkien
Gene Wolfe
Lord Dunsany
E.R. Eddison
Edward Whittemore
 
So far the leaders are...

1- Hobb (17 points)
2- Donaldson (13 points)
3- Jordan (11 points)
4- King (10 points)
5- Martin, Erickson, Tolkien in a three-way tie (9 points)

The point system will assses points based upon their ranking in your list, #1 = 5 points, #2 =4 points, etc.
In the future, lists that do not identify least to favorite, will recieve 1 point per each author. The only list I have used this method upon is Fitz, and the last post, so far because it was clearly stated they were not in an order of least to favorite, but in the future as I've already stated lists that do not clearly list least to favorite will recieve one point per author.:)
 
>>As always, everyone seems to favor only authors currently in fashion.

Hey, not necessarily! My list would change day by day, but here's today's:

1. Jorge Luis Borges

2. Clark Ashton Smith

3. Gene Wolfe

4. John Crowley

5. M. John Harrison

I'm currently very into Harrison because I've been reading read his most recent novel and short story collections. His trilogy Viriconium is one of my favorite books. Then again, if I was writing the list a couple of months ago it would probably be Peake or Dunsany over Harrison.
 
At THIS moment, I'd go with the following, in reverse alphabetical order:

Gene Wolfe - No author can write the first person narrative as skillfully and deceitfully as Wolfe. Imagination, pontification, sublimation, characterization are all things that raise his status

John Marco

Fritz Leiber
Though I only read the first three Fafhrd/Mouser stories first time recently, they changed my approach to writing fantasy and what to expect from other authors. The man coined the term Sword and Sorcery.

Stephen R. Donaldson Any writer who can convince a multitude of readers, and more importantly, myself, that a SOB of a leper can be the protagonist over three books and share the spotlight in three more books is something special. Amazing descriptive scenes of The Land, a secondary world that is believable.

Steven Z.K. Brust


It will probably change again, next time I post.
 
Let's see..

1.Gene Wolfe-His Sun books are awesome!
2. Tolkien-Always will be one of my favs.
3. Stephen Donaldson-I recently read his TC books and loved them. I kicked myself for not reading them a lot sooner.
4. Ursula LeGuin-The first three Earthsea books
5. Martin- Yes, I'll admit it I love aSoIaF. :p

If I answered this tomorrow, my list would probably be different.
 
Fantasy Five =

David Gemmell
Raymond Feist
R A Salvatore
Matthew Woodring Stover
James Barclay
 
ah you want it numbered and only fantasy. Ok well I forgot Hobb anyway so I guess I can soare the time to type a new list
  1. Robert Jordan
  2. Steven Erikson
  3. Robin Hobb
  4. Kate Elliott
  5. Melanie Rawn, Martin, Carey,lynn Flewelling, Carey, Gemmell
    [/list=1]

    Heh they all blend together after the top four.:cool:
 
Fantasy authors? Here goes...:
  • Tolkien - quite simply, LotR is unparalleled as a fantasy achievement
  • Stover - do I need to say anything?
  • Donaldson - he can build narratives to a driving peak, and create marvelously flawed characters.
  • Mieville - ahem, I believe I have expounded on him in detail previously
  • Martin - after the next Caine book, the one I'm looking forward to most is AFoC.
 
Last edited:

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top