July 2016 Motivation Thread

I did not work on any writing last night. Maybe today, but I just turned on Skyrim, so...
 
On Friday I finished the first read through/ marking up for "Who Would Destroy the Gods?" (two weeks early!) I think that I've given myself enough time that I can now do my first read through/mark up of "The Chronicler"
Meanwhile, I'm halfway my comic book goal for the month, which is exactly where I want to be.
 
Not sure that 18k is going to happen now though...
You can do it. One word at a time.

I re-assessed my year's goals over the weekend and re-outlined the novel I was working on in 2015. It means some major revisions to the 70k+ worth of material I have, but not all of it will end up in the bin.

I must say, the feedback I got from folks was/is immensely helpful (thank you a thousand times over for those who read Traders' Daughter). I was able to use their input to good use and I look forward to having a completed novel this year (hopefully). :)
 
Last night I spent most of my writing time organizing my Scrivener project: charted the first 40 or so scenes, looked at current scenes to carry over, and tried to get a handle on the work still to be done. I've got a solid base to work from now, and several scenes that will need to be written from scratch. The nice thing is that I finally know the full story.
 
Last night I spent most of my writing time organizing my Scrivener project: charted the first 40 or so scenes, looked at current scenes to carry over, and tried to get a handle on the work still to be done. I've got a solid base to work from now, and several scenes that will need to be written from scratch. The nice thing is that I finally know the full story.
Wohoo! That's great news! I love how Scrivener makes it so easy to see the full story.
 
Not much good today, despite my best intentions. Somehow Amazon thinks my new collection is a new edition of my previous collection and have linked them together. It's causing a mess on my author listing page because the new one is not showing up (the old one is) unless you search for it specifically. I've been trying to get an answer as to why (most likely the similar name I'm guessing). It's got me rattled a bit and no progress on my goals.

I did get the refund issued for the laptop I had to return but not after having to contact them.

Also ended up spending a couple of hours helping my ex clear out a room full of boxes and furniture so workmen could use it for working on her bathroom remodel. The extent of my bathroom remodeling was to get a new toilet seat which promptly pinched my tender thigh as soon as I sat on it.

That was my day.
 
Edits for the first draft of The Shrouded Fox are done and it's up on the workshop thread. I'm relieved to be done with it for now.

After seeing the Anthology thread, I couldn't help but come up with a story. It formed pretty quickly in my mind, but still needs some time to simmer. Mmm, simmmmmmer.

Otherwise, I'm off to work on Ashwalker draft two.
 
That's certainly the plan :) The question is whether the story needs another round of major edits, whether I post it in the workshop or share it with some other beta readers or submit it directly or what. That's all :cool:
Why not submit to the workshop AND others beta readers, hmm?? :)

@J.D. Carelli -- congrats on finishing the draft! It sounds like a fun story too.

I finally finished the outline for the first 10 or so chapters in Naiad's Shadow tonight. Tomorrow I plan to start drafting these chapters. So here's hoping all this planning and plotting will pay off.
 
Looks like Amazon got my problem with the linked books fixed.

The lesson: Be darn careful about naming your Amazon-published books. :)

Guess I have to get to writing now unless I can find another excuse.....
 
Last edited:
Last night I learned the difference between editing someone else's work and your own. I mean, I've always known that there was a difference, but last night I was able to appreciate it. I worked on reading through and editing the zero draft of my own novel. It takes me much less time and I am able to focus on the big picture right away because I already know how the story ends and what my intentions are.
I got 21 pages marked up out of (I think it was 120 some odd pages?) so if I keep this up, I'll be able to get it done by Friday meaning that I can get started on working on my next story earlier than I planned!
 
Back
Top