LOTR: Return of the King discussion (spoiler thread))

The one complaint that everybody who hasn't read the book has is that the ending is too long. They feel its pointlessly drawn out. But then, they don't understand the characters like we do. Also, perhaps the pain that Frodo felt, the anguish that he had to go through every year on the anniversaries of the Weathertop stabbing and the Shelob sting were not really conveyed fully in the movie-- perhaps we'll have to wait for the extended edition. That was one of the most poignant parts of the book: Frodo had accomplished so much but it simply wasn't "happily ever after" for him.

(Still missing the scouring...)
 
I read the book, very much disliked it, and still thought the ending was too long in this film. It was just BLA BLA BLA. However, I understand they needed to show all those parts to end it well.
Extended addition 5 hours long?!?! WOW 5 hours of LOTR.

LOL the witch king's death was hilarious, he like crumpled up.
 
I will never be able to understand why people complain about the
ending. If you ask me, it's a perfect example of how people are whiners (not you, Frost!), and will NEVER, EVER be satisfied with anything. Examples:

-The Matrix.... fans trashed the 2 sequels, saying they sucked... well, WHAT DID THEY WANT? It's a movie, not a religion. People are morons. But the one complaint tha tmade sense was that the ending was too quick and didn't tie up the loose ends.

-Lord of the Rings... funny, the biggest complaint is about the ending being TOO long, and tying up too many loose ends.

People are greedy and spoiled pigs who are too de-sensitized by Hollywood and other Media, that they can no longer just enjoy a good movie for being what it is.... A MOVIE!


:)
 
It's not like you're watching "Willow II" or "Krull" or something--this is grandiose.

They made a Willow II? When?

The ROTK movie looks absolutely awesome! I haven't seen it yet, because I've been rater ill lately and a personal dark criisis I'm dealing with right now has kept me from doing some things for a little while, such as going to the theatre, (If you really care, and really want to know what my crisis is, email me or pm me) but my sister saw it and said it was positively mind blowingly awesome, so I quite look forward to seeing it! :D
 
And he's not just a body, but a High Priest of Cainism, he can kick ass. If they make RotK 5 hours long, I will jump with joy and kiss someone (sidles over to Shan), that would be great, don't think it's going to happen, but I'm going to keep my hopes up. Personally, I'm really liking the long movies/miniseries, Band of Brothers comes to mind as a great example, really excellent film.
 
The problem with the end of TROTK for lots of people comes from the blackouts.

Each time that an image blackout comes, people expect the ending credit. PJ use the fade to black a few times at the end as an elipse to let us know that a time lapse happened. If my memory is right the first one is rather long and then a few others occurs. I'm sure that without the blackouts, that overall "this is the end" felling would have been lest strong for lots of folks and give a general "better" flow to the ending of the movie.

Other then that, I have no problems with a movie tying up all the loose ends. It was realy great to be able to take the time to know what happens in the end to all these great characters.

To few movies take the time to lest us see what becomes of the characters and the consequences of the resolution of events on their lives.
 
Last edited:
Fantastic movie. I'm going to watch my two exteneded edtions of the first two and then go see it again.

Did they put the Scouring of the Shire back into the extended edition of ROTK anyone know? I hope so, because then it would be pretty much complete. I was surprised to see the Grey Havens in there. I'd heard they'd cut it out.

I've been on LOTR overload lately. Re-reading the books, and watched most of the extra material on the Two Towers dvd and watched the cast voice-overs yesterday. Sheesh.

I don't think anyone will ever top what Peter Jackson did with LOTR. Epic, amazing, loved it.

Susan
 
No, there won't be a scouring of the shire, they never filmed it.

I've also been on a LOTR overload lately, watching the movies again, actually going to www.lordoftherings.net. However, I don't think I will ever be hyped enough to read the books...bleah.

Haha, last night, I watched the LOTR that was made in 1978. And all I have to say about it is that its the biggest pile of trash I've ever watched. I finally know what a movie looks like if they cut out all the talking in between that explains the story, the last 1/3 of the actual story, and simply have terrible visual effects, even for that time.

Aragon looked like an indian, Gimli was the same size as Aragon, and Legolas looked 7 years old.

Don't rent it, its even more terrible than the books.
 
Originally posted by SusF
Fantastic movie. I'm going to watch my two exteneded edtions of the first two and then go see it again.

Did they put the Scouring of the Shire back into the extended edition of ROTK anyone know? I hope so, because then it would be pretty much complete. I was surprised to see the Grey Havens in there. I'd heard they'd cut it out.

I've been on LOTR overload lately. Re-reading the books, and watched most of the extra material on the Two Towers dvd and watched the cast voice-overs yesterday. Sheesh.

I don't think anyone will ever top what Peter Jackson did with LOTR. Epic, amazing, loved it.

Susan
Ehh read page 3 again, you allready asked and got answer on the scouring thing.

Personally, I don't think it would've been a good idea to include it, a movie needs more of an end (I didn't liked it in the books all that much anyway).

Now the movie was really AWESOME, best of the three, best movie I've ever seen even. The lighting of the beacons and when Pippin sings are real goosebump moments.
 
Last edited:
The Scouring of the Shire will NEVER be seen, it was NEVER filmed!

I can't believe people are still asking about that, it's been pretty common knowledge for a few years.

Also, Allanon, the 4h40m running time for the ROTK Extended DVD is COMPLETE RUMOR at this stage, although we can still hope it proves true.

And Frost, some people HATE that cartoon, and some people LOVE it. It IS more true to the books in some ways. In my opinon, the worst thing about it is that sometimes they say "Saruman" and sometimes they say "Aruman" for no reason whatsoever. The effects look BAD now, but at the time I actually think they must have been pretty cool. Also, I owe the cartoon thanks for one reason: I watched it when I was 16, and that's what made me go read the books, cause I wanted to know how the story ended!
 
Saw it last night and I'm still in shock. If there has been a better film made in cinematic history, then I'd like to see it.

Quite simply, it's a masterpiece, and I cannot understand how anyone could say anything negative about it at all. Bring on the extended version - I can't wait! :)

Really loved the epilogue segements, although I would have liked them to be a tad longer, although I understand why the movie had to be edited for the cinema release. Couldn't really see why anyone said that those sections were drawn out to be honest - I wanted more!

The Scouring of the Shire was never going to be included - this was made apparent way back when FOTR was released. The movie stands up adequately without it though and the other pivotal scenes are extremely well handled IMO.

As I said, other than for it being too short for my liking, I cannot find anything bad to say about this historical moment in cinematic history. See it, and see it again!
 
Also, I owe the cartoon thanks for one reason: I watched it when I was 16, and that's what made me go read the books, cause I wanted to know how the story ended!


Hah!! Me too!!
 
Wow, you guys were 16 when that came out, that must make you
*calculates in his mind* OVER 16!!! Wow, you guys are old. I never thought I'd be on a chatroom with people as old as you, heck, Big E even has kids. This is nuts.
 
I finally saw ROTK this afternoon.

All I can say is, it was AWESOME. It was so intense and stirring, I was choked up for a good part of the movie. Amazing! And the ending was perfect. The love and friendship shown between Sam and Frodo on Mount Doom was very touching.

Despite the obvious length of the movie I am looking forward to the extended version, since I'm sure it will include more of Eowyn and Faramir, both of whom were sort of overlooked at the end of the movie. I expected to see both of them in the Houses of Healing but did not. I was also surprised that there was no mention of Theoden after his death on the battlefield. The image of Eomer crying over his king's body, the one shown in the official trailer, was absent too unless I just wasn't paying attention.

I look forward to seeing these additions to the extended version (especially Eomer, who is probably my favourite character to look at!). Even so, the theatrical version was fantastic and I plan on seeing it again. The battle at Minis Tirith was beyond description. Especially the trebuchers and that amazing battering ram! My hat goes off to everyone who worked on the special effects for the movie.

Two thumbs up. :)
 
Saw RoTK on Friday and it was great! Never has a battle seen been more grandly displayed. The charge of the Riders of Rohan was just incredible and the battle before Minas Tirith left me speechless. I was almost thankful when the movie would break back to Frodo and Sam, just for a moment to catch my breath.

I too am looking forward to the extended edition as the first two were excellent and had alot to add to the films.

As some of you have written, the ending was good, but I think it might have well been better left to the Extended Cut. Even though I am a lover of all things LoTR, I have to admit that I was ready for it to end after the crowning of Aragorn and the homage paid to the four hobbits. I was genuinely moved by the scene on upon the citadel of Minas Tirith and thought it would have made a nice end. Oh well...what a movie!
 
I agree Bettle, I think the movie would be fine ending when Aragon got crowned. Although, the return of the grumpy hobbit after that cracked me up. I loved him in the first movie.
 
Do you mean Bilbo Baggins? heheh, "the grumpy hobbit"... never heard him called that before.

Oh yeah, and who is Big E, the person with kids?
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top