LOTR: Return of the King discussion (spoiler thread))

Okay, watched the movie yesterday. Here are some thoughts.

Basically, I thought the first half - roughly: up to but not including Shelob - was brilliant. For the first time in all three movies, I was just sitting there, not just impressed but enjoying things tremendously. That's saying something for someone who has had to regurgitate every minute of the extended version of the two earlier films a number of times to appreciate their undeniable worth.

Highlights: Gandalf riding through Minis Tirith, as seen from above the city. Simply awesome. And then the beacons being lit. Suddenly, something of the much needed sense of depth - of space, a real world. Really beautiful.

And then things started to go downhill a bit. Shelob starts that - unlike others here, I found her a disappointment. In the book, she's a character. In the movie, she's just a monster. Too big, too fat, too unsubtle.

Then Pelennor Fields. Things start to get rushed here. Helm's Deep had this wonderful build-up; here, the Orcs et al. just roll in and the battle starts before you know it. Unfortunate, since in the book, the moments before the battle is actually engaged are well used to expand the story's depth, as the anxious inhabitants of Minis Tirith greet the disparate but valiant allies that trickle into their city from the far corners of the world.

There's another problem with Pelennor. Way too much emphasis is given to the (too large) Oliphants of the Haradrim. Others have mentioned that Eowyn's confrontation with the Witch-King of Angmar (the Nazgul Lord) is unsatisfactory, but the main reason for this is not that that particular scene is, in itself, too short, but rather that it fades into relative insignificance compared to length of the Oliphant scenes. Frankly, I feel this to be a rather major misjudgement on Jackson's part: it simply disparages the true epic scale of the the confrontation and dumbs it down to David and Goliath stuff.

Downhill? Well, things get rushed after this. Where the first half of the film flows along gracefully, the second seems unbalanced. I agree with just about everything Stewart has said earlier - although I am sure a number of issues raised will be re-adressed by the extended version (which, to hazard a guess, will not even be close to 4 hours and 40 minutes, but much, much shorter. Unfortunately.)

And the folliwing could be added.

After Pelennor, the ride to Mordor is just too swift. It's also an anti-climax - all this, just for a diversion? And where did everyone leave their horses? Suddenly, they're all on foot. And why didn't Sauron mass greater forces against Minis Tirith if he could so easily have them gather in time before the Black Gate? These questions are not just unanswered, but also unasked in the film. The timing's off - Jackson's trying to do too much, too swiftly.

And yes, Evil Agent, I have to agree with some of people above when they criticise the ending. It's drawn out. Drawn out ostensibly, since, as Golinob points out, it suffers from a number of blackouts which automatically lead viewers to the idea that movie has alreay ended. It's a strange editing flaw, one I can't explain, really. But drawn out also for the simple reason that there are too many "endings". There's Frodo waking up to find his Fellowship companions flocking in to greet him; there's Aragorn being crowned, only to have the entire crowd present bowing to the the Hobbits; there's the return to The Shire; there's the Grey Havens. It's repetitious.

Having said that, it might be a question of Jackson not wanting to bring things to that final end. Maybe he found it difficult to stop. If that's the case, I really can't fault him - The Lord Of The Rings is the greatest story every told, and bringing it to the screen against all odds might very well be the greatest cinematographical achievement in history.
 
Last edited:
I still can't find ONE good argument against the ending, even in your post.

THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO END!!! Have you read the books? It's not, as you and other have said, that Jackson felt reluctant to let it end... It's that he was trying, trying so hard, to do the ending some justice!

To all the folk who think it should have ended when Aragorn was crowned, can you even imagine how many people would have been RABID with anger at all the untied loose-ends?!? God, what more do we want! It's too long, it's too short, there's too much, there's not enough... ARGH!

And finally, for the love of GOD, what, WHAT, WHAT is so bad about a fade-to-black false-ending?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I just don't understand.... Why is that a bad thing? It's clever! It fooled 75% of the audience... so now they feel embarassed that they stood up too early, and they want to complain!

Sorry if it sounds a little harsh, I just think it's a completely RIDICULOUS criticism...!
 
How many people saw all the films one after the other? I did and I think it made a huge difference. Instead of viewing ROTK as a film on its own, I got to see them all as one giant story. The movies were obviously not paced, written or directed to appear stand-alones and to judge them as so seems silly to me.

As far as the ending is concerned, was it really an editing flaw or did everyone just assume too much? Just because it goes black means it's over? Why? Just because that's how directors have done it in the past? Really, were there not those fades, it wouldn't have felt like enough time passed. There might have been a better way to do it, true, but I think Jackson did an amazing job overall. I'd like to see someone do better--especially considering the subject matter.

I have a feeling most of the pacing issues will be cleared up in the extended edition. The first two films weren't as well paced with the theatrical releases either.

And another point I will raise -- had the movie stopped sooner, I would have been pissed. Having watched the entire trilogy in the theater, I wanted a thorough ending. But again, this goes back to watching and judging the entire trilogy as one big film. Which is how I think it should be. Otherwise, I might as well bitch that the first two had cliff-hanger endings.
 
Bear, you said it better than I did... I agree 100%.

Any less ending would have been a TRAVESTY!

Also, one review said it well... every extra little ending scene was like finding more presents under the tree, when you thought they were done! How could anyone complain about MORE lotr?

BTW, next week I will finally watch all three in a row for the first time... the first two Extended DVD's, then the third film in the theatre. I can't wait for the FULL experience!
 
Originally posted by Evil Agent
I still can't find ONE good argument against the ending, even in your post.

THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO END!!! Have you read the books? It's not, as you and other have said, that Jackson felt reluctant to let it end... It's that he was trying, trying so hard, to do the ending some justice!


Hush, Evil - we're not really at odds here.

I haven't just read but devoured the books. I happen to be one of those people that can't help but cry when it comes to the final pages. You needn't tell me how it's "supposed to end"- I've known that since I was eight or so. And I think we very much agree on that issue.

What I feel is that, whilst Jackson did no doubt do his best to portray the ending as best he could, it doesn't really do justice to the vast sense of loss that pervades the final pages of "Return of the King". It's too much of a "ship sailing happily into the sunset" image. In other words, I do feel - and this is where we seem to disagree - that as a result Jackson didn't do the book full justice.

As to the black outs - well, let's put it this way. I watched the film with an audience that started to grumble or chuckle the third or fourth time things stopped and started up again. Now it's simple, really - that's not how I wished to have watched these last scenes. Shall I be totally honest? I wanted to cry. I wanted it to be like the book. I wanted to overwhelmed again. But it didn't happen.

Perhaps my mentioning that Jackson himself didn't want it to end was all wrong - but remember, that's just a thought on my part, inspired perhaps by the fact that I would assume that anyone who loves the story would have a bittersweet feeling at it's termination.

And, Bear - yes, I feel that the issue of time passing could have been handled differently. I feel the entire ending could have been handled differently. But I shan't repeat my earlier post; my views are stated there. As an aside - I very much agree with you that the films should be seen as a whole. And I also agree that the pacing issues will probably be dealt with in the extended version.
 
No worries, Julian! :)

I just find it annoying these days how every good movie gets trashed by fans who think that "it could have been so much better". I just wanna say "Why don't YOU go make movies then?" you know what I mean? Movies are what they are, and we should just accept it.

But yes, you do have a point... I agree that the end should have been a touch sadder.. Frodo sicker, in more pain... but overall I was happy so I'm not complaining.

Can't wait to see it again!
 
Do you mean Bilbo Baggins? heheh, "the grumpy hobbit"... never heard him called that before.

The grumpy Hobbit is the one in the 1st movie who looks angry when he sees Gandalf go by, but laughs when Gandalf fires a couple fireworks for the enjoyment of some children. He would have kept going, but his wife gave him a sour look which made him go right back to his angry look. HILARIOUS!

Big E is Eldenmuwhatever. Can't remember her name so I stick with Big E.




====


I AGREE SO MUCH with Julian's 1st big post, she put all my thoughts into words.
 
Originally posted by Evil Agent
No worries, Julian! :)

I just find it annoying these days how every good movie gets trashed by fans who think that "it could have been so much better". I

Hmm. Got a big smile on my face, here, Evil :)

Don't forget - amidst all my grumbling I also mentioned that bringing LOTR to the screen against all odds might very well be the greatest cinematographical achievement in history.

I mean that.
 
Hey Frost, in regards to that hilarious grumpy hobbit (I agree, he's hilarious), can you believe that about 10 different people I've asked (maybe more) thought he was a female hobbit?!?!?! Personally I can't believe it, but seriously over 10 people have told me that...WTF?
 
Heh, that's weird. The grumpy hobbit is also the one that corrects Bilbo by saying, "Proudfeet!" while smoking a pipe, with his leg's propped up on a stool. Yeah, that moment when he laughs, then closes one eye slowly, and sort of puffs out his lips is hilarous, makes me laugh every time. :D
 
Originally posted by Evil Agent
No worries, Julian! :)

I just find it annoying these days how every good movie gets trashed by fans who think that "it could have been so much better". I just wanna say "Why don't YOU go make movies then?" you know what I mean? Movies are what they are, and we should just accept it.

But yes, you do have a point... I agree that the end should have been a touch sadder.. Frodo sicker, in more pain... but overall I was happy so I'm not complaining.

Can't wait to see it again!

Don't you belie your own point here?
 
Dunno.

Are you sure that's Mr. Proudfoot, Dom? It does look like him, now that I think of it...
 
"The grumpy hobbit" is the hobbit that's sweeping his porch when the four hobbit heroes come back from their journey, and he just gives them an annoyed look.

I absolutely LOVED the movie. I think you all have summed up my favorite parts already. The Minas Tirith battle, the Ride of the Rohirrim, Shelob, Mount Doom, EVERYTHING... was just perfect.
 
So far, both the extended versions have been superior to the theatrical releases - so I'm waiting to see the extended RotK; only then can a proper comparison be made.

Though I enjoyed the RotK, I have some minor quibbles. It didn't seem to quite meet up to expectation, a nigh impossible task I admit. Parts of it felt rushed - Eowyn's confrontation with the WitchKing, certain subplots were sacrificed for a more linear story - the riding of Elrond's twins with the Rangers of the North to meet Aragorn, Aragorn's confrontation with Sauron via the Palantir of Orthanc and Eowyn & Faramir's romance are just three examples.

Some changes were made that I don't fully agree with; I mean, if an upstart Wizard began beating up on your Steward, wouldn't you stop it instead of standing back and watching? Also, the whole Legolas:Mumakil sequence was too Hollywood for my liking. Gondor, even without Denethor was not leaderless. Where was Imrahil? Left out for dramatic purposes methinks. And then there was what I call the 'pillowfight' sequence when Frodo wakes up.

Highlights for me were Gandalf riding out to aid Faramir's retreat, the lighting of the beacons and the ending. Although there were many partings, I thought they were appropriate. I especially liked (given that the Scouring of the Shire was left out) the scene with the four hobbits in the Green Dragon.

Bring on the extended version!
 
I agree, the extended version will be a LOT better than the first one. However, we will have to wait a long time before seeing it.

Any ideas what might be in the extended edition?

Yeah, that moment when he laughs, then closes one eye slowly, and sort of puffs out his lips is hilarous, makes me laugh every time


LOL just reading that makes me laugh!

EA ten people thought he was female! WOW! Do we have the same hobbit in mind I wonder, since the one I'm talking about is most definately male.
 
Oh trust me, we are thinking of the same hobbit. That's why I was so blown away. They thought his wife was just another female Hobbit friend, and they thought his baggy shirt was some kind of dress. AND, they got all defensive when I made fun of them for being so stupid. :)
 
Wow, thats nuts, you got yourself some odd friends there EA. Although, they now belive that the hobbit was indeed a male NOW right?
 
I too thought that hobbit was a female at first (just an exceedingly ugly one), and that the other one was her daughter.

But I soon realized that I was was sorely mistaken. :o
 
How can you people ever think that?!?!?!?! I'm going to watch the movie again and see.
 
OK, after waiting patiently for the hubub to die down I went to see this movie last night.

I went away with mixed feelings. Foremost in my mind is that we can interpet this movie as a stand-alone work, and pick it apart on it's own merits as we did the last two movies, or we can now look at the trilogy as a whole and see how the movies compliment each other and hang together as a complete interpetation of Tolkien's work.

And it's important to remember that these movies are just that: an interpetation. This is not Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings, this is Peter Jacksons 'Lord of the Rings'.

Peter Jackson says this is his favourite of the LOTR movies. I can see why it is a strong candidate in a general sense: dramatically it has some of the finest material - not one or two climaxes, but the potential for several. In storytelling terms, all the characters are fleshed out by the previous movies and Jackson is telling the story to an audience who are already primed and informed in a way that the first wave of newbies for 'The Fellowship of the Ring' simply were not.

If we judge the 'Return of the King' on it's highlights, and what it does do well, then we have several brilliantly shot and conceived scenes. Aragorn's ghost army; the battle with the Oliphaunts before Minas Tirith; Frodo's claiming of the ring on the precipice over the lava in mount Doom ...

But on the other hand, the devil is in the details. 'The Return of the King' makes a lot of noise and boasts truly epic battle scenes, but when we strip away the flash and bang, does the thing hang all that well together under a close inspection?

Problems appear, especially in comparison with the book's evocation of the overall defense of the west against the forces of evil, something Jackson really dumbs down to a relatively short amount of film, ironing out many events and characters in favour of hollywood set-pieces. And in my opinion, CGI opliphaunts and computerised hoards of orcs are not really a substitute for the book's slow build-up and focus on the men and boys on the walls as people, not just backdrop cannon fodder. In contrast, the defence of Helm's Deep in 'The Two Towers' was a far more dramatic and accomplished set-piece : the people of Rohan are fleshed-out and inspire our sympathy in a way that the Minas Tirith people do not. Jackson has invested nothing in them in terms of character development, and it shows.

My principal criticisms lie, as usual, in the changes Jackson and his writers have made. When I heard that the 'Scouring' was to be omitted, the justification was that it was too weak a climax after the destruction of the Ring, and Aragorn's coronation. I actually think that is probably accurate.

so... why in god's name did Jackson subject us to a dragged-out painfully over-acted epilogue that left me itching to just get up and go? I've nothing against a little bit of sentimentality when appropriate, but things crossed into self-indulgent weepyness and cheapend Jackson's great achievment to some extent. The movie was over and done with, from my perspective, with the coronation of Aragorn and the drawing together of the Fellowship for the last time. The epilogue that Jackson et all chose to tack on creates the same problem that they argued including 'the Scouring' would have- it is like a dead weight tacked on after the climax of the movie. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Recently, Vigo Mortenssen commented that the theatrical versions were not, in his opinion, the movie : the extended editions are. This point of view has certainly been borne out by the DVD EEs in recent times. Let's hope this is as true of this movie as it has been of the past two.

Final verdict : a flawed masterpiece whose weaknesses are probably swallowed up if the trilogy is considered a whole (as the problems with the last two movies are as well).

This is just my opinion, I wouldn't claim that it's anything else, so any of you zealots out there about to start picketing me might as well keep calm. :D
 
Last edited:

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top