LOTR: Return of the King discussion (spoiler thread))

I'm a bit confused, but I HOPE that was a sarcastic post! :)

I don't know what to tell you, primemover. I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan so I can't really relate to your point of view. But there ARE a lot of monsters....

- Flying Black dragonlike-beasts
- Huge spider (I think you'd like it, it's not just your typical spider, but I could be wrong)
- Hundreds of thousands of Orcs
- Cave trolls
- Normal trolls
- Big weird dinosaurish looking things that are hauling a sweet battering ram named "GROND"... by the way, if someone who saw the movie didn't notice, all the orcs are chanting "GROND! GROND! GROND!" when the battering ram is in effect. SWEET!

But yeah, there's a LOT of monsters.... but that's not even the best part, the best part is the story.

Ah, I'm burning out, must leave!
 
There's epic, and then there's MONSTER EPIC. If I am going to spend 3 and a half hours with no bathroom break, then it better have a good monster or demon that hasnt been done before to keep me glued.
Besides I am not a Tolkien fan. I dont care for elfish fantasy at all. And I can't stand Harry Potter--so don't get me started on it!

:mad:
 
There's epic, and then there's MONSTER EPIC. If I am going to spend 3 and a half hours with no bathroom break, then it better have a good monster or demon that hasnt been done before to keep me glued.

...so 'riveting storyline' is right out?

In all good humor c'mon, man, it's bigger than life. It's so far above the bar of a HUGE percentage of any other film like it that it merits viewing in the grand sense. It's not like you're watching "Willow II" or "Krull" or something--this is grandiose.

(Ok, I liked 'Krull' when it came out, but it's on Cinemax right now and man, oh man...)

This is saga at it's finest! I'll bet you can go three and a half hours without a bathroom break on any given day of the week! Heck, you do it asleep--go buy some Depends if you're worried about it, but for all that is good and pure in the world, SEE IT IN THE THEATRE. This is such stuff as dreams are made on, where all that ails is left behind for a few brief hours' respite from a world gone mad by immersion into the time-lost art of storytelling, of journeys too vast in scale to be merely viewed but experienced and to walk away forever changed, as though the paths trod by the visionaries who placed the story upon the screen left their dust upon your feet! Stand up! Leave your home, brave the storm and slip into the dark anonymity of the theatre--partake in the oldest form of communion known to man, that of the tale in its telling! Be all that you can be! Let no stone go unturned! Gather no gravy!


...



'Scuse me.
 
...so 'riveting storyline' is right out?

***You know...it just isnt my type of fantasy. I can understand the appeal, but it just isnt my thing. I dont usually see many flicks in the theatre anyway.

Hey I watched Krull a few weeks back--I certainly wouldnt see it on the big screen but it had its moments. Talk about a forgotten film. Willow--you can keep it yuck.

Usually I can go three and a half hours--but when I saw the Two Towers--man, I couldnt wait to get through it. It was traumatic--especially the flood near the end with all the water rushing out--and since the restroom was unavailable after the movie-- I had to RUN home.
So you can say I have fears of a repeat experience. At least on DVD i have a pause option UNLESS you can tell me of a scene about 1/2 through that would be a good time to rush out if I have to. heh

:rolleyes:
 
Well, as much as I HATED having to do it, I went for a bathroom break during ROTK. I really tried not to, but I finally decided that if I didn't go, it would really take away from my enjoyment of the film... also, I KNEW that I'd end up seeing it many more times, so who cares?

I went during the scene when Elrond gave Aragorn the reforged sword. Maybe not the BEST scene to go, but definitely one of the best... I made it there and back, and only missed some dialogue... the rest of the movie is pretty action-packed though. If you DO have to go, I'd go before you're an hour in. That's when it really takes off.
 
Next time I go to a movie that is 2 and a half hours plus, I will make sure not to drink anything for 24 hours!
 
I saw the movie today. IMO, it was definitley the best of the three. There were scenes that gave me goosebumps and almost brought me to tears (which is hard to do).

The Battle of Pellanor Fields was awesome. Not much to say about it other than that. Aragorn leading the dead army was cool and so were the scenes with Shelob. The ending was done very nicely, especially the very end where Sam comes home to his family.

I feel kind of let down because now there aren't any more movies like this coming out anytime soon. Hopefully Jackon makes a movie version of The Hobbit.
 
Let me fly free on the Pelannor fields
that my soul may become a song of just battle

I cannot describe the feeling as I watched the Rohirrim take the field. I've had the imagining of that battle kicking around in my head for so many years, to finally see it, those brave men resolute in the face of darkness, Theoden's speech, the soundtrack turning my heart to thunder, I nearly wept when they charged.

(I did shed a tear when Gandalf told Pip about death, MAN too much)

anyways, in response to stuff said earlier, elves at Helm's Deep irritated the hell out of me, it's not better that they gave a damn in the movie because that wasn't the story Tolkien wanted to tell. The time of the elves was done. The Dagorlad is labled on the friggin map even as the battlefield of the LAST ALLIANCE OF ELVES AND MEN. If PJ wants to film elves he should do something from the Silmarillion, when it was THEIR time.
 
...

It was good, but the whole movie I felt like it was going by to fast and that a lot of times the characters contradicted themselves. The way Frodo turned on Sam so quickly when in the past films he was shown as steadfastly loyal (this of course can be explained off on the ring but it just felt wrong). When Theodyn questions Aragorn as to why they should help Gondor when Gondor did nothing for them only to jump at the oppurtunity when the beacons are lit. What really ticked me off was how easily the siege of Minas Tirith was won. They made such a point of making it look it impossible, making it look like nothing could be done to win and then 6000 Rohirrim storm the field and 200,000 Orcs practically fall over and die. I thought Theodyn's death was too quick, at least the characters could have shown some sadness, as it stood only Eowyn cried. I wish they would have shown Faramir and Eowyn being wounded together, and Merry wasn't supposed to be in the last battle. The Shelob fight however was even more annoying. Frodo gets knocked out and Sam appears with the elvish light thingy (I've only read the books once and I forget the name), no explenation of how he gets it, it's just there. His rescue of Frodo was far too short and it seemed almost effortless for him and once again they never showed him taking the ring but he still happened to have it.

Nitpicking aside however I did enjoy it thouroghly, a good end to a great trilogy. My favorite scene would have to be when Faramir and and the soldiers from Gondor are charging hopelessly to retake the city while Pippin sings. Very dramatic.
 
This movie was amazing. I was a bit worried about it after the odd changes in Two Towers, but the extended edition redeemed it a bit.

I loved the scaling of Mount Doom and destruction of the ring. It was one of the most powerful scenes I'd seen in a long time. Sam was always a favorite character of mine. Only quibble is that Sam never EVER felt the effects of the ring. He was pretty much immune.

I'm going to re-read the book again. I haven't read it since right before the first movie came out. There are some parts I want to read more carefully. I admit my memory isn't the best but I DON'T remember a ghost army.

Going to watch both extended version of LOTR and TTT and go back to see the movie a second time. This time I won't head to the bathroom right at the lighting of the watch.

Minas Tirith was amazing! Beautiful set.

Peter Jackson's LOTR is the best, most complete on screen version of LOTR that has ever been made. Given the huge complextiy of the book, I think he did a beautiful job. The changes are odd to those of us who live and breath the books, but for a filmmaker they make sense.

I hope they put the rescue of the Shire into the extended edition.

Susan
 
Originally posted by SusF
I hope they put the rescue of the Shire into the extended edition.

Susan

I'm pretty sure that they didn't even film the Scouring. There is the scene in FOTR in Lothlorien when Frodo sees what looks like the scouring. Peter Jackson put that in there as a kind of acknowledgement, but they did not film the scouring in full.
 
To SusF:

-No, the Scouring of the Shire will NOT be seen, ever. It is sad, but Peter Jackson made it clear a couple years ago.

-Yes, the Army of the Dead IS in the books, the only thing is that they don't come all the way to Minas Tirith, they only help Aragorn take over all those ships.

-Sam DOES feel the temptation of the ring, both in the movie AND the book.. I'm not sure which one you were referring to, but in the movie we plainly see him feel it for a few seconds.. and in the book, it's much the same, when he thinks Frodo is dead and contemplates taking the ring to Mt. Doom himself... he starts having some crazy vision of himself all larger-than-life and commanding armies to destroy Sauron...
 
I don't know what it was, probably high expectations, but I just didn't think it was as good as it could have been. I can't really put my finger on it, but some moments just felt wrong....it was definitely a great movie, don't get me wrong, just not as good as I expected. I did have teary eyes in a few moments though, for sure, Gray Havens and Mt. Doom especially. I can't wait for the extended version, Saruman will be in it, at least.
 
I almost felt the same way, Dom.. but then I realized that I felt that way the first time I saw all three films.. As a LOTR fan, how can you NOT be a bit disappointed in the things that weren't the way you hoped? But I am pretty sure that, as with the other two films, my enjoyment of it will increase after watching it a few more times!

And yes, the Extended Edition will RULE THE WORLD! It'll probably be the best of the bunch.
 
A great movie: I enjoyed it immensely. A truly worthy conclusion to the greatest trilogy of all time. Yes, better than The Godfather, the Indiana Jones trilogy and the Star Wars trilogy.

What would I have liked? The Scouring of the Shire, The swan-prince Imrathir leading his army into battle, the romance of Faramir and Eowyn (which I suspect will be in the Extended Edition).

High points: Miranda Otto as Eowyn was electric, much better than Arwen (Liv Tyler). Her battle with the Witch-King was good, but not great; but then, it's always been one of my favourite parts of the movie. The charge of the Rohirrim was awesome, as was the siege warfare and the battle against the beasts (forgot their names). Denethor conveyed just the right amount of madness and desperation, but Faramir seemed a little underused. The departure at the Grey Havens was awesome, as was the ending: "I'm back".

My favorite scene would have to be when Faramir and and the soldiers from Gondor are charging hopelessly to retake the city while Pippin sings. Very dramatic. [/B]

Ah yes, forgot that one. Beautiful.
 
I saw it on Saturday! It was amazing and totally stupid. Some parts, like the battle of Minus Tirith with all the dead guys killing everyone in maybe 1 minute was dumb.

When the Rohirrum rode over all the orcs, I felt like screaming in enjoyment, the soldiers weren't doing anything, just riding their horses. Although, I know its super unrealistic, it was cool to watch.

The witch King battle was too short, and Thedon's death was almost ignored. At the end of the movie, my mom asked: "So is the horse king dead?"

All in all, I give it an 8/10. The main parts of the book were rushed, and the ending was stretched far too long.

Best Part Of The Movie:

Minus Tirith, just as the gate is about to break.

Gandalf "Remember who you are, you are soldiers of Gondor, whatever comes through that gate, you will beat it back!

*Gate Breaks*

20 fully armored trolls come burting through

*shows Gandalf looking distresed*

Worst Part Of The Movie:

The ending
 
WOW!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!!

What an amazing film. I loved it, although I can see why hardcore book fans would be disapointed. It was great, but it could have been better. That makes it sounds back, which it wasn't, but there were some niggles. I think I was expecting perfection though, which is impossible. The result was amazing.

The Shelob bit was ok, but I didn't like how Sam was sent home, and how Frodo could keep trusting Gollum.

Did anyone notice the guardians to Cirith Ungol? In that book Sam has to get the phial out and run past, but they missed that bit when they could have easily had it, it wasn't long and it would have been cool.

The death of the Witch King was dodgy, he should have exploded rather than imploded, it was too anti-climactic.

The good bits are too many to mention! I just loved the picture of Frodo at the edge of the crack of doom hunched over the ring, somehow it was just 100% perfect. Gollum should have cried 'Precious!!' as he fell though.

Also, Sam should have gone back to Bag End at the very end, as he inherited it from Frodo, but thats a minor detail.

Best. Film. Ever.
 
Last edited:
Frost, how can you say the ending was too long?!?!? That's the ONE complaint I can NOT understand!!!! Wait, you didn't like the books did you? That explains it, I guess.

As for the SMALL imperfections/flaws, I think the movie will be a LOT better once we get the Extended Edition.

Incidentally, a rumor hit the Net today that the Extended Edition will be about 5 hours long! I think this will prove false, but you never know! A 5 hour movie would be my dream come true!!!

Side note: I'm still undecided about the Witch King death.... I think my hopes were too high... I picured it being simply GLORIOUS.... I don't want to admit it, but I guess I was a bit disappointed with it... Still, it was cool, and it will probably grow on me.
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top