Top 5 Favorite Authors!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hemingway
  • Start date Start date
Today's List:

Jeffrey Ford
Robin Hobb
Tad Williams
Kurt Busiek
Neil Gaiman
 
I'd have to do a top 10...

1. Bakker
2. Tolkien
3. Martin/Hobb
5. Kay
6. Williams
7. Erikson
8. McKillip
9. Marillier
10. Wolfe
 
1. Tolkien
2. Martin
3. Neal Stephenson
4. Hobb
5. Orson Scott Card
 
Fitz said:
Today's List:

Jeffrey Ford
Robin Hobb
Tad Williams
Kurt Busiek
Neil Gaiman


Kurt Busiek? What has he written and have you recommended his books before? I don't think I have come across the name before. Or Jeffrey Ford for that matter!
 
Kurt is a writer of comics.

Notably one of his best series is called Astro City, which, while a comic, is simply a amazing read.

I don't know if he has written any novels though. :)

Keyoke
 
Jeffrey Ford's Web site
His wonderful novel The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque is our August Fantasy Book Club selection

Kurt Busiek writes comics, he writes spectacular comics, mainly superhero comics. He is best known for Astro City and Marvels. Though recently he is dipping his pen into more fantasy flavored stuff like Arrowsmith with spectacular art by Carlos Pacheco. Kurt is also scripting the newly launched, wonderful Conan series currently being published by Dark Horse Comics. He also wrote a space opera-type saga entitled Shock Rockets.

On to my daily top 5:
R. Scott Bakker
George R. R. Martin
Matthew Stover
Gene Wolfe
Fritz Leiber
 
My top 5 at the moment:

1. Robert Jordan
2. Frank Herbert
3. Tolkien
4. George Martin
5. Andreas Bull-Hansen
 
Today's List:

Robert E. Howard
Greg Keyes
Michael Moorcock
Robin Hobb
Stephen R. Donaldson
 
Fitz said:
Fickle? Explain.

Well, didn't you have a top 5 a few weeks ago? I was making a joke(and I guess, not a good one) on your preface of Today's list. Meaning that maybe tomorrow or next that it would change i.e. fickle. :)
 
not a bad joke persay..

But, yes I've been changing my top 5 everyday for about a week or so now.
 
Top 5 Favourite Authors, eh!!!

I think I have been through this before, but here is mine!!
I have changed it slightly!! lol

Neil Gaiman
Tad Williams
RA Salvatore
Guy Gavriel Kay
And how can i forget,,,Stephen King. ( I have nearly all his books, lol) :D
 
Alright I have done this before, but I have found some new authors recently (new to me that is):

No order:

David Gemmell (no change)
Clive Barker (genius)
China Mieville (amazing)
Matthew Woodring Stover (Awesome)
Neil Gaimen (Urban Magic)
 
I haven't posted a top 5 in over a month, damn I'm behind. Today's list, for your reading pleasure, includes the following 5 authors, available with a side order of mashed potatoes and as always, served with your choice of soup or salad. $.99 extra for both...

Tad Williams
Matthew Stover
Stephen King
Robert E. Howard
Neil Gaiman
 
Hmm I think I'll go with

China Mieville
Neil Gaiman
Michael Moorcock
Orson Scott Card
Johnathon Stroud
 
JRR Tolkien
Tad Williams
GRR Martin
Ursula Le Guin
Neil Gaiman

<china mieville is next on my to-read list... and by the amount of people raving about him, I've no doubt he'll make my list of top-5>
 
Last edited:
Here is a cumulative list of every author mentioned at least once over all seven pages so far. I didn't total up their mentions, running out of time.....but I thought such a list would be useful at this point.
Maybe someone with a little more time could do the totals and come up with a top ten overall, thus far? (Someone back on page 3 did a total for the top 6-8 up to that point, BTW)

Stephen King
Neil Gaiman
David Gemmell
Robin Hobb
Matthew Stover
Guy Gavriel Kay
Philip Jose Farmer
Raymond Feist
Stephen Donaldson
John Marco
Robert Jordan
Steven Erikson
Kate Elliott
Lois de Benaires
Jacqueline Carey
Phillip Pullman
Ursula LeGuin
Steven Brust
Bernard Cornwall
Terry Brooks
J.V. Jones
George Martin
J.R.R. Tolkien
Terry Goodkind
Melanie Rawn
David Eddings
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Philip Dick
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Peter Beagle
Robert Howard
Tad Williams
Michael Moorcock
Orson Scott Card
Gene Wolfe
Lord Dunsany
E.R. Eddison
Edward Whittemore
M. John Harrison
John Crowley
Clark Ashton Smith
Jorge Luis Borges
Fritz Lieber
James Barclay
Lynn Flewelling
China Mieville
Paul Kearney
Jon Carroll and Pat O'Leary
Robert Stanek
RA Salvatore
J.K. Rowling
Terry Pratchett
Frank Herbert
Samuel Delaney
Angela Carter
Tanith Lee
Lloyd Alexander
D. Wynne Jones
Enid Blyton
PC Hodgell
Roger Zelazny
Carol Berg
Sara Douglass
Janny Wurts
LE Modesti
Marcus Herniman
Dave Duncan
Mary Gentle
Gary Jennings
Paolini
Jeff Vandemeer
Edward Whittemore
Greg Keyes
CS Friedman
CJ Cherryh
Eric Neilson
Mickey Zucher Reichart
Dennis McKiernan
Tim Powers
E.R. Eddison
Luis McMaster Bujold
Michael Chabon
Alan Moore
Jasper Fforde
Wolfgang Hohlbein
Jeffrey Ford
Charles de Lint
Kurt Busiek
Juliet Marillier
Patricia McKillip
R. Scott Bakker
Neal Stepehnson
Andreas Bull-Hanson
Jonathan Stroud
 
Last edited:
Oops, never did mine, I think.....

Robin Hobb
Jacqueline Carey
George R.R. Martin
J.R.R. Tolkien
tie: Juliet Marillier and Sara Douglass

I had to mention Tolkien.......the body of his fantasy work is of such significance and lasting influence and merit, how can one not place him on such a list?
In fact, he is above and beyond all the rest, by virtue of the universal appeal, significance and seminal quality of his work, of the mythological stature of the world he created, its history and languages.

(Forgive the repetitiveness and hyperbole....it's getting late.)
 

Sponsors


We try to keep the forum as free of ads as possible, please consider supporting SFFWorld on Patreon


Your ad here.
Back
Top