At 1959 yesterday evening, 15 Dec 2022, I concluded an initial read of Project Gutenberg's e-book offering of Arthur Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet, the debut of Dr Watson and Sherlock Holmes. It at first didn't impress to me, but got better as it progressed. Then, at a chapter change, it morphed into something else altogether. After reading much of the first morphed chapter, I became all but convinced that whoever prepared this e-book had been working on multiple projects and somehow managed to graft part of a totally different title into the Doyle.
I shut down the Paperwhite and returned to the computer to look at the ASiS in its HTML browser version. There, where it is fast and easy to scroll between sections, I saw that the seemingly foreign material is no mistake. Satisfied that it would all make sense at some point, I returned to the sofa and resumed reading. Sure enough, only a few pages beyond where I left off, a few name-drops expose the connection twixt what I was reading and the book's arching storyline. What's more, now that the dust has settled, that assumed foreign material has proven to be my favorite part of the tale. The book's closing section sees a return to Watson and Holmes and the conclusion of the case they investigate.
A good read, especially its middle "foreign" section. Believe it or not, this is my first exposure to Holmes and Watson in written form, though I've seen and enjoyed quite a few of their adventures via movies and television. As to Doyle, it's too soon to say. My only exposure to him is this book and a DNF of The White Company earlier this year, which I might resume at some point.